Medicare Part C Explained
What is Medicare Part C?
Part C is another name for Medicare Advantage plans. With a Medicare Advantage plan, you receive your Medicare coverage through a private insurance company. Medicare Advantage plans work differently from Supplement plans. They combine your Part A Hospital, Part B Medical and, sometimes, Part D Prescription Drug coverage into one easy-to-use plan. Medicare Advantage also gives you extra benefits and services that Original Medicare doesn’t cover.
What does Medicare Part C cover?
Part C Medicare Advantage plans can give you coverage for:
- All services that Medicare Part A and Part B cover, except hospice care (which is covered by Medicare).
- Additional benefits and services that Original Medicare does not cover, that can include:
- Routine hearing, dental, and vision exams.
- Hearing aids or glasses (except for glasses following cataract surgery).
- Emergency medical assistance while traveling outside the U.S.
- Fitness memberships.
- An allowance to buy health care products.
How much does Medicare Part C cost?
Your costs when enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C) include:
- Part A and Part B monthly premiums, if applicable.
- Medicare Advantage plan monthly premium, if applicable.
- Any out-of-pocket costs such as copays, deductibles, and coinsurance (these costs vary according to the plan you choose).
Medicare Advantage plans can have lower out-of-pocket costs than Original Medicare.
Can I enroll in a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage Plan?
To join a Medicare Advantage plan, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the United States.
- Be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Learn when to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.
- Live for six months or more each year in the plan’s service area.
Why choose UPMC for Life?
UPMC for Life is a Medicare Advantage plan that’s been around for 21 years. We are more than 200,000 members strong and growing!
We offer affordable medical and prescription benefits in one easy-to-use plan. We’re committed to providing you with the high-quality health care and coverage you need so you can live your best life.
Here are just a few benefits you get with UPMC for Life:
- Part D prescription drug coverage with $0 copays for preferred generic drugs.
- New! The UPMC for Life Flex Spend Card gives you an additional yearly allowance to buy over-the-counter (OTC) products and pay for dental, vision, and hearing services (on most plans).
- New! A dental allowance for many dental services, including coverage for dentures (on most plans). Plus, oral exams, cleanings, and x-rays.
- A hearing aid exam, a hearing aid fitting, and a discount on the cost of hearing aids.
- A routine vision exam and an allowance for contact lenses and frames, now including all lens types, like progressive and transitional.
- Free unlimited gym memberships, one free personal training session each year at participating fitness facilities, the option to work out at home with in-home fitness kits, and online fitness classes.
- In-network coverage when you travel to Arizona, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee (on HMO plans).
- Benefits and programs that can help you live healthy and stay independent, such as home safety products, in-home safety assessments, Tools for Caregivers, support for serious illness, post-discharge meals, and more.