What is Medicare Part C?
Part C is referred to as Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage plans are Medicare-approved private health plans. Medicare Advantage plans work differently from Supplement plans. They allow you to get all of your Part A Hospital, Part B Medical—and, sometimes, Part D Prescription Drug coverage—combined into one plan. They can also provide you with some additional benefits and services that Original Medicare does not cover.
What does Medicare Part C cover?
When enrolled in a Part C Medicare Advantage plan, you can get coverage for:
- All services that Medicare Part A and Part B cover, except hospice care (which is covered by Medicare).
- Additional benefits and services that Original Medicare does not cover, such as:
- Routine hearing, dental, and vision exams.
- Hearing aids or glasses (except for glasses following cataract surgery).
- Emergency medical assistance while traveling outside the U.S.
- Fitness club membership.
How much does Medicare part C cost?
Your costs when enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan (part C) include:
- Part A and Part B monthly premiums, if applicable.
- Medicare Advantage plan monthly premium, if applicable.
- Any out-of-pocket costs such as copays, deductibles, and coinsurance (these costs vary according to the plan you choose).
Medicare Advantage plans can have lower out-of-pocket costs than Original Medicare.
Can I enroll in a Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage Plan?
To join a Medicare Advantage plan, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the United States.
- Be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Learn when to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.
- Live for six months or more each year in the plan’s service area.
- Not have permanent kidney failure (some exceptions may apply).
Why choose UPMC for Life?
UPMC for Life is a Medicare Advantage plan that’s been around for 18 years. We are more than 190,000 members strong and growing!
We offer affordable medical and prescription benefits in one easy-to-use plan. We’re committed to providing you with the high-quality health care and coverage you need so you can live your best life.
Here are just a few benefits you get with a UPMC for Life plan:
- Part D prescription drug coverage with $0 copays for preferred generic drugs
- Preventive dental benefits
- Routine hearing coverage and an allowance for hearing aids (on most plans)
- Routine vision coverage and an allowance for eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Free membership with a participating gym
- In-network coverage when you travel to Arizona, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee (on HMO plans)
- Caregiver support