All Pennsylvanians ages 6 months and older can get a COVID-19 vaccine.
We know it may be difficult to speak with your children about the COVID-19 vaccine. You and your children may have a lot of questions, and we can help you answer them.
Read our FAQs regarding children and the COVID-19 vaccine
CDC's Guidelines for Boosters
- People ages 5+ can receive a Pfizer-BioNTech booster if they:
- People ages 18+ can receive a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster if they:
- Received a second Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna shot at least 5 months ago.
- Are moderately or severely immunocompromised and received a second Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna shot at least 3 months ago.
- Received a Johnson & Johnson/Janssen shot (only 1 shot needed) at least 2 months ago.
- You can receive a second Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster if you are 50 years of age and older and received your first Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson/Janssen booster at least 4 months ago.
- You can receive a second Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster if you are moderately to severely immunocompromised and received your first Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson/Janssen booster at least 4 months ago.
- People ages 12-17 will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech booster.
- People ages 18+ will receive either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster.
Keep in mind that these guidelines can change over time as we learn more about COVID-19 vaccines and boosters. For the most current information, check the CDC website.
We encourage everyone to get the vaccine and booster shots as soon as they can. COVID-19 vaccine and booster shots are covered no matter which one you get or where you get it in the United States. Use the resources below to find a COVID-19 vaccine or booster near you.
If you need help scheduling your COVID-19 vaccine, call a Health Care Concierge at the number on your member ID card or chat with us
Help is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m.
to 3 p.m.
If your child is a UPMC Children’s Community Pediatrics patient, you can schedule an appointment online
or by calling the office.
Want to ask us about the vaccine?
Prompt your Alexa or Google Assistant to “Ask UPMC Health Plan about the COVID-19 vaccine (or booster).” Our virtual concierge will answer!