CHIP, brought to you by UPMC for Kids, puts health coverage within reach of uninsured children and teens. This state and federally funded program is available to families who need it.
In 2006 we covered 50 kids in Pennsylvania. We’re now covering more than 37,000. UPMC for Kids has grown to become the largest CHIP plan in the state. That’s a lot of happy, healthy kids! Meet some of our UPMC for Kids members:
Children and teens can get CHIP coverage regardless of family income. Your child may be enrolled in free CHIP, low-cost CHIP, or full-cost CHIP.
Most families are eligible to receive CHIP at no cost. Families with higher incomes will have low monthly premiums and copayments for some services. Families with incomes below the CHIP threshold may be eligible for Medical Assistance.
Check the income guidelines to see where your family falls.
All CHIP health insurance covers:
- Doctor visits, including routine checkups and immunizations. Find a doctor here.
- Diagnostic tests
- Prescriptions and some over-the-counter medications. Find out more about your coverage here. Or, search for a pharmacy near you.
- Dental care, including orthodontia (braces, not for cosmetic reasons, only when medically necessary). Find a dentist here.
- Vision and eye care. Find an eye care provider here.
- Emergency care
- Maternity care
- Mental health and substance abuse services. Search for a behavioral health provider here.
- Hospital care
- Durable medical equipment
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
- Home health care
- Tobacco cessation
- Nutritional counseling
- Medical nutritional therapy
For more details on UPMC for Kids benefits, see these documents:
Based on a family's income, copayments may be required for some services.
As a parent or legal guardian, you can apply for CHIP for your child(ren). It’s easy, and we can help you enroll!
Call UPMC for Kids at 1-800-978-8762 (TTY users, please call 1-800-361-2629) to apply over the phone. Or you can print an application below.
You can also complete an application online by using COMPASS, Pennsylvania's fast and easy way to apply for health and human services, at www.compass.state.pa.us.
Print an Application
Do you have questions about the CHIP program or UPMC for Kids? Our frequently asked questions guide could have the answer you need. Contact the UPMC for Kids Health Care Concierge team by calling 1-800-650-8762. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. TTY users should call 1-800-361-2629.
Download FAQs about CHIP Coverage