These terms apply to UPMC’s websites and apps, including the websites and apps of the UPMC Health Plan.
If there are additional terms associated with a specific UPMC website or app, you will be presented with those additional terms at the time you access the website or app. However, those additional terms will apply only to that particular website or app. Collectively, all these terms constitute an agreement between UPMC and you.
UPMC controls our websites and apps from our offices in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. By accessing our websites and apps, you agree that your access and use are governed by and will be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, USA, without regard to conflict of laws principles.
General Website Disclaimer
- If you think that you may have a medical emergency, call emergency medical services immediately (911) or go to a hospital Emergency Department. If you are seeking a referral or consultation with a medical expert, please contact the UPMC Consumer Referral Service, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 1-800-533-UPMC (8762).
- UPMC’s websites and apps are designed for general patient and member educational and informational purposes only. The information presented describes the products and services offered by UPMC using general terms to improve comprehension.
- With respect to medical information, other than information provided to you by your provider through direct communication, or based on an online care appointment, information made available by UPMC through a website or an app should not be construed as an offer for medical services or as medical advice.
- With respect to other products and services (including products available through the UPMC Health Plan), general terms may be used to improve comprehension. While some specific information may be provided, the information presented on our webpages and apps may not contain all the applicable terms, conditions, limitations, or exclusions necessary to fully describe the products and services being described. The product and/or service descriptions are not intended to constitute offers to sell or solicitations in connection with any product or service. Information about the specific terms, conditions, limitations, or exclusions for a specific product or service available through UPMC is fully described in the additional materials available from UPMC.
- UPMC’s websites and apps are designed to supplement — not replace — the relationship you have with your health care provider. Without limitation, UPMC does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, non-UPMC providers, medications, products, or procedures. UPMC asks that you consult a qualified health care professional for any diagnosis or treatment, including information regarding which medications or treatment are safe, effective, or may be appropriate for you.
- UPMC disclaims all liability whatsoever for any documentation, information, programs, software, or other material that is or may become a part of our websites or apps. UPMC does not warrant or guarantee that it will be available for your use, that the information will not be offensive to you, or that it will meet your needs and requirements.
UPMC is committed to safeguarding your personal information. As described in our Privacy Statement and Notice of Privacy Practices, we keep the personal information of our patients and members in the strictest confidence. UPMC complies with applicable laws, regulations, standards, and guidelines established by governmental agencies and accepted accrediting organizations at all times. These include the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation, where applicable. If you have any questions concerning the confidentiality of your personal information that has been entrusted to UPMC, please contact UPMC’s Office of Patient and Consumer Privacy at 412-647-5757, or 1-800-533-UPMC (8762).
Detailed privacy information (including the HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices) can be found at:
UPMC Health Plan: https://www.upmchealthplan.com/privacy.aspx
Collection and Use of Identifiable Information
We may ask you to provide us with identifiable personal information while using our websites and apps. This information is collected and used only for the purposes indicated where and when the information is requested or collected. If we wish to use your personal information for a new or different purpose, we will offer you the means to consent to this purpose at the point where the use of your personal information is requested. Except as requested by you, or as indicated on the webpage or app where your information is requested, we do not disclose your identifiable personal information to other organizations.
Use of “cookies”
As you browse UPMC’s websites and apps, “cookies” may be placed on your computer so that we can understand your interests and enhance your experience. Cookies do not collect information about you. Rather, a cookie may contain limited information, such as the type of browser you are using, your general location, your device’s IP address, the date and time of your visit, your web domain type, and your activity on our website. None of this information in any form or combination will be traced back to you by UPMC.
UPMC may share cookie information with our advertising and marketing partners so that we can present you with relevant advertising on other sites or with marketing information based on your previous interaction with our websites and apps. Our advertising partners, as members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI”), may have their own privacy policies. To remove yourself from some or all NAI member advertising programs, please visit the NAI Opt-Out Page (http://optout.networkadvertising.org) and follow the instructions. Please note that if you delete, block, or otherwise restrict cookies on your computer, or if you use a different computer or internet browser to access UPMC websites in the future, you may need to renew your NAI opt-out choice.
As you browse UPMC websites and apps, your IP address and/or http requests (URLs) may be used to gather navigation and usage patterns across various browsers and devices. The purpose of such tracking is to help UPMC understand how its website(s)/app(s) are being accessed and to enhance usability. These IP addresses and http requests (URLs) are not used to trace back and re-identify specific users.
UPMC is the sole owner of content on our websites and apps, and may change it from time to time without notice. The entire contents and design of UPMC websites and apps are protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. You may look at our content online, download information to your computer to read later, or print copies of pages for yourself, your family, or your friends. However, you must not remove any copyright notices from our content. We reserve all rights, which means that you must not sell our content, rewrite or modify it, redistribute it, use it on your own website, or use it for any commercial or non-personal purpose without UPMC’s prior written permission.
With UPMC’s advance written permission, UPMC may permit another organization to provide a link to UPMC’s website from its website. To request permission, please email our Webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UPMC's goal is to provide high-quality health information through the content on our websites and apps. We define “content” as all text, images, graphics, tables, audio and video recordings, menu icons, bars, listings, indices, and functions that support content such as links, navigation, searches, and calculations. Every effort has been made to provide accurate and current information that will be useful to the reader.
Much of the information provided on our websites and apps was authored by, or has been reviewed by, UPMC staff. However, some of the consumer education information on our websites and apps is provided through a contract with third parties.
We follow a standard set of editorial procedures for information that we post on our websites and apps. However, we specifically disclaim any guarantees or warranties, whether expressed or implied, as set forth in detail below. It is the responsibility of visitors to our websites to evaluate the information we provide and determine its relevancy and usefulness to them.
UPMC uses original, licensed stock, and purchased photography on our websites and apps. The individuals portrayed in the images may be models, and their inclusion is not intended to imply any endorsement or association with any illness or condition.
Please contact our Webmaster (email@example.com) with any feedback or concerns about the content provided on our websites and apps.
You are responsible for the secure and proper use of any user accounts that you establish on our websites and apps. You are also responsible for any actions taken utilizing your user account(s). UPMC strongly encourages you to not share your username and password. You understand that UPMC takes no responsibility for, and disclaims all liability for damages arising from, your sharing your account(s) with others, or your account(s) being compromised. If at any time you feel that your user account has been compromised or that your information has been inappropriately disclosed or used in any way, you should immediately (a) change your password, then (b) contact UPMC. If UPMC has reason to believe that your account has been compromised or misused, UPMC may suspend or discontinue your account(s) without prior notice.
You agree not to access or use your account that you create on our website or app in an unlawful way or for an unlawful or illegitimate purpose, or in any manner that is not consistent with these terms. You shall not post, use, store, or transmit (a) a message or information under a false name; (b) information that is knowingly wrong or deceptive, unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, fraudulent, predatory of minors, harassing, threatening, or hateful to any person; or (c) information that infringes or violates any of the intellectual property rights of others or the privacy or publicity rights of others. You shall not attempt to disrupt the operation of our websites or apps by any method, including through the use of viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, denial of service attacks, flooding, or spamming. You shall not use your account in any manner that could damage, disable, or impair our website or app. You shall not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any user accounts, computer systems, or networks through hacking, password mining, or any other means. You shall not use any robot, scraper, or other similar means to access your account for any purpose.
UPMC shall not be held responsible for content submitted by other social media site users. UPMC also reserves the right, but is not obligated, to remove any posts, graphics, comments, videos, photos, or any other content that:
- Is libelous, defamatory, or disparaging
- Violates another party’s copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights
- Affects the privacy rights of any of our patients, including the person posting the content, or of any UPMC employee
- Condones or promotes illegal activity
- Is inaccurate, misleading, fraudulent, or deceptive
- Uses harsh, obscene, hateful, or threatening language
- Is spam, or is intended to cause technical disruptions to a UPMC website or social media site
- Offers unauthorized advice or tips
- Markets commercial products or solicits monetary contributions to any organization
- Is off-topic or excessive
- Violates any applicable law
UPMC is not obligated to respond to any post or request for information or advice made on a social media site. Any health information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
At times, UPMC may ask you for personal information while you are visiting our website. We ask for this information only to deliver materials that you have requested, to respond to a question you have asked, or to provide you with a product or service.
When you enter data into an online form on our website, the personal information you type is protected and securely transmitted to us through a method such as a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). SSL is the standard method that websites use to protect visitors' information by coding or "encrypting" everything from credit card transactions to enrollment data.
All of the health information that you provide to us through this website is subject to the protections outlined in our Privacy Statement and Notice of Privacy Practices.
Links to other sites
Throughout UPMC’s websites and apps, links may be provided to non-UPMC websites. These links are provided only as a convenience. If you decide to access these linked websites, you do so entirely at your own risk. UPMC has no responsibility or control over the content or security of these websites, and makes no representations and gives no warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained therein. The inclusion of any link does not imply affiliation, endorsement, or adoption by UPMC of the linked website or its content, nor of the organization hosting the website. UPMC asks that you take appropriate precautions to ensure that whatever links you select are free from viruses and other types of malware. You agree that UPMC shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of any kind incurred because of your access or use of these websites.
UPMC is committed to protecting the privacy of children. UPMC’s websites and apps are not intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of our websites are directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from children under 13 years old, we will promptly take steps to delete such information.
UPMC cannot guarantee that every device (smartphone, tablet, or PC) or Internet browser is capable of properly performing all functions of all UPMC websites and apps. If your device does not permit you to perform a website function, you should use a different compatible device instead. UPMC is committed to providing information platforms that are reasonably accessible to all users, including those with disabilities.
UPMC is committed to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, as well as applicable regulations, standards, and guidelines established by government agencies and accepted accrediting organizations.
While UPMC uses industry-accepted practices and technologies to secure our websites and apps, you should take appropriate precautions to protect personal and confidential information, and to use your devices/apps in a secure and responsible manner. UPMC is not responsible for the security of your devices, and expects that you will configure them in a secure and responsible manner.
We will provide a secure transmission method for you to send us your personal information. While such secure transmission methods provide reasonable protections against unauthorized access, if you have concerns regarding the transmission of sensitive information, you should consider using nonelectronic communication methods.
All UPMC staff and consultants who have access to or are involved with the processing of personal information have been trained to respect the confidentiality of your personal information.
Your use of any UPMC website or app (including any associate accounts) is at your sole risk and is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. UPMC and its affiliates expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to:
- Warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement;
- Warranties that (i) UPMC’s website(s) and apps will meet your requirements, (ii) UPMC’s website(s) and apps will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of UPMC’s website(s) and apps will be accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained through UPMC’s website(s) or apps will meet your expectations, and (v) any errors associated the UPMC’s website(s) or apps will be corrected;
- any inaccuracies or defects in the information, software, communication lines, the Internet or your Internet service provider (ISP), computer hardware or software, or any other service or device that you use to access our websites and apps; and
- Warranties regarding advice and information obtained by you through UPMC’s website(s) and apps — except as expressly stated in the terms associated with the website or app.
You shall be solely and fully responsible for any use or disclosure of information caused by you or any person using your username and password. UPMC does not assume any responsibility for any loss, damages, or liabilities arising from the failure of telecommunications infrastructure, the Internet, or your misuse of any protected health information, advice, ideas, information, instructions, or guidelines accessed through UPMC’s website(s) and apps. Should you have reason to believe that your information is not accurate, you should contact UPMC immediately.
Limitation of Liability
Under no circumstances shall UPMC, any UPMC affiliates, or any UPMC licensor or supplier be liable in any way for your use of our website(s) or apps, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, any infringement of the intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of such website or app.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event shall UPMC or any of its affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, indirect, incidental or consequential damages of any kind, including, but not limited to damages resulting from: (i) personal injury, wrongful death, loss of use, loss of profits, interruption of service, or loss of data; or (ii) mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files, errors, defects, delays in operation or transmission, or any failure of performance, whether or not limited to acts of god, communication failure, theft, destruction or unauthorized access to your records, programs, or services, and whether in any action in warranty, contract, or tort (including but not limited to negligence or breach), or otherwise arising out of or in any way connected with the use of, or the inability to use, your account or any service accessed through your account or any material or information contained in, accessed through, or products purchased on, our websites or apps, even if UPMC (including its affiliates, any UPMC licensor or supplier, any third party that promotes the UPMC website or app or provides a link to the service) is advised of the likelihood or possibility of the same.
You acknowledge and agree that UPMC and its affiliates’ aggregate liability to you for any claim of damages, losses, fees, charges, expenses, or liabilities, and in circumstances where the foregoing limitation is finally determined to be unavailable, shall not exceed the fee paid by you for the good or services that gave rise to the claim.
UPMC Electronic Communications Terms
At the discretion of UPMC, its staff, physicians, and others representing UPMC, UPMC may communicate with you using various electronic communications tools, including:
“Internet email” refers to the email that is sent via the Internet using a standard protocol called “Simple Mail Transfer Protocol” or “SMTP.” Internet Email based on SMTP is not encrypted and cannot be considered secure.
UPMC will use reasonable means to protect the privacy of your health information sent by Internet email. As Internet email is not encrypted, UPMC cannot guarantee that messages sent by you will remain confidential prior to delivery. Accordingly, UPMC suggests that you do not send sensitive or confidential information by Internet email, nor agree to receive such information from UPMC by Internet email, if you have concerns regarding confidentiality.
UPMC may provide a secure means for you to communicate electronically with UPMC through a secure portal or messaging system (“Secure Messaging”). In such cases, UPMC will let you know that the portal or messaging system is secure.
UPMC communicates with patients and members through text messages on a limited basis, and only with prior approval from the patient or member. Typically, UPMC text messages are intended to be general in nature, such as appointment reminders. In limited circumstances, we may agree to communicate additional information with you through text messaging.
UPMC will use reasonable means to protect the privacy of your health information sent by text messages. As text messages are not encrypted, UPMC cannot guarantee that the message you send will remain confidential prior to its delivery. Accordingly, UPMC suggests that you do not send sensitive or confidential information by text messaging, nor agree to receive such information from UPMC by text messaging, if you have concerns regarding confidentiality.
At times, UPMC may ask you for personal information while you are visiting our websites or using our apps. We ask for this information only to deliver materials that you have requested, to respond to a question you have asked, or to provide you with a product or service. When you enter data into an online form on our website or app, the personal information you type is protected and securely transmitted to us.
Risks and Your Responsibility
Electronic communications may contain your personal health information. If you decide to use such means to communicate with UPMC, you should be aware of the following risks and/or your responsibilities:
Conditions for Communicating Electronically with UPMC
- UPMC will use industry best practices to secure electronic communications with you. However, certain types of Internet communications are not secure or private, and unauthorized people may be able to intercept, read, and possibly modify the content of these communication that you send to or receive from UPMC. By example, as described above, Internet email is not considered secure because it is not encrypted.
- You must protect your accounts, passwords, and electronic devices against access by unauthorized people. If you learn that your account has been compromised, it is your responsibility to notify UPMC if such compromise impacts your communications with UPMC. UPMC will not be liable if you or anyone else inappropriately uses your account(s).
- UPMC will not be liable for improper disclosure of any information that is sent prior to the time that UPMC receives it.
- Since electronic communication tools can be used to spread viruses, you should install and maintain virus protection software on your computing devices.
- Since electronic communication may be copied, printed, and/or forwarded by anyone who receives your communication, you should be careful regarding to whom you send such communications.
- As your employer may claim ownership of, or the right to access, an Internet email account issued to you by your employer, you should avoid using an employer-issued Internet email account to communicate with UPMC. UPMC will not be liable for any loss of privacy or confidentiality if you choose to communicate with UPMC using an employer-issued Internet email account.
By communicating electronically with UPMC, you agree that:
Electronic Communication Instructions
- UPMC may forward your communications as appropriate for diagnosis, treatment, reimbursement, billing, and other related reasons. As such, UPMC staff members, other than the recipient, may have access to communications that you send. Such access will only be to such persons who have a need to access your communications to provide services to you. Otherwise, UPMC will not forward your communications to independent third parties without your prior written consent, or as required by law.
- Although UPMC will try to read and respond promptly to electronic communications, UPMC staff may not read your communications immediately. Therefore, you should not use electronic communication tools to communicate with UPMC if there is an emergency or where you require an answer in a short period of time. For a medical emergency, you should dial 911 or go immediately to a hospital Emergency Department. If your communication requires or asks for a response and you have not received a response within a reasonable period of time, it is your responsibility to follow up directly with UPMC.
- You will carefully consider the risk of using electronic communication tools to send sensitive medical information including, but not limited to, information regarding sexually transmitted diseases, HIV/AIDS, mental health, developmental disability, or substance abuse. You should consider other forms of communication to discuss such types of sensitive medical information.
- You will carefully word communications so the information provided clearly and concisely describes the information you intend to convey.
- UPMC reserves the right to save your communications in your medical record.
- It is your responsibility to follow up and/or schedule an appointment if warranted or recommended by UPMC.
- Electronic communications tools may not be the only form of communication that UPMC will use to communicate with you.
- UPMC may decide that it is not in your best interest to continue to communicate with you electronically. In such case, UPMC will notify you that it no longer intends to communicate with you by such means.
- If you provide an Internet email address to UPMC for communication, UPMC may use that email address to communicate with you for a variety of purposes, such as billing related matters.
When using electronic communications tools to communicate with UPMC:
Use of Feedback
- You shall immediately inform those individuals at UPMC with whom you communicate of changes in your email address, cell phone number, or preference for communicating.
- You will limit communications to the clear and concise information that you wish to convey to UPMC.
- You are responsible for correcting any unclear or incorrect information you provide.
- You shall send communications only to addresses as instructed by UPMC.
- You shall include in the body of the communication your name and such other information as is necessary for UPMC to identify you.
- You shall include the category of the communications in the subject line of the message, for handling purposes (e.g., prescription, appointment, medical advice, billing question). Prior to sending a communication, you shall review the communication to make sure it is clear, and that all relevant or requested information is provided.
If you have general comments or questions about our websites or apps, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. If you provide comments or questions, we may share your comments and questions with those at UPMC most capable of addressing to your comment or question.