You’ve got the balloons and the cake. You’re ready for your party—but are you ready for your 26th year? Health insurance coverage is probably not the first thing you would put on your birthday wish list, but if you are still a dependent on your parents’ health insurance, it’s time to start shopping for some of your own.
Your coverage through your parents’ health insurance will end at the end of your birth month or the calendar year, depending on which insurance provider your parents have.
Turning 26 is considered a qualifying life event. That means you can sign up for health insurance outside of the traditional Open Enrollment period.
If you experience a qualifying life event, you can enroll with UPMC Health Plan even if it is not during Open Enrollment. Turning 26 and aging out of your parents’ health insurance plan is a qualifying life event.
When you enroll with UPMC Health Plan, you’ll be giving yourself the gift of coverage and starting your 26th year with access to outstanding care!
Learn About Qualifying Life Events
Questions? Call us toll-free at 1-877-563-0292.
1. Preventive care will be covered at 100 percent only when it is received from a participating provider and it is billed as preventive. A separate cost may apply if additional medical services are received during the same visit or if your preventive care appointment becomes diagnostic in nature.
2. Tier 5 preventive medications on UPMC Health Plan’s Advantage Choice formulary will be covered with no cost share for members who meet certain criteria in accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.
3. Go to upmchealthplan.com/BEST for award information.
4. UPMC Health Plan members located in Pennsylvania at the time of a virtual visit may select a UPMC-employed provider or a provider from Online Care Network II PC (OCN), subject to availability and discretion of the provider. Members located outside of Pennsylvania will receive service from OCN. OCN is not an affiliate of UPMC.
5. Only the virtual visit with the provider will be covered at 100 percent. Prescription drug and other costs related to the visit or recommended by the provider will not be included in the virtual visit coverage and will be your responsibility. If you are enrolled in the UPMC Advantage Silver or Gold HSA $3,100/$0 plan or the Catastrophic $8,700/$0 plans, UPMC AnywhereCare virtual visits will be covered at 100 percent after you meet your deductible. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply.
6. In order for a child to have a UPMC Children’s AnywhereCare visit, the child’s parent or legal guardian must be with the child during the video portion of the visit, and the child and parent or legal guardian must be in Pennsylvania during the visit.
7. UPMC AnywhereCare Virtual Counseling is available to UPMC Health Plan members who are located in Pennsylvania at the time of the visit. The service is available to members of your household who are 18 years old and older. If further counseling is needed, the counselor may refer you or your household members to relevant community resources.